Volunteers fulfill all the essential roles that keep Household Goods running.
Here are just a few of the jobs they do:
PICK UP DONATIONS
- Drivers: Drive Household Goods’ box trucks to pick up donations. Must be 25 or older with clean driving record and have or be able to obtain US DOT medical Certificate (no special license required).
- Crew: Load and offload trucks donated furniture and goods. Must be 18 or older.
Shifts: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday 8:45 AM-Noon and as needed.
WORK WITH DONORS DURING DONATION SHIFTS
- Donor Helpers: Greet and thank donors, write receipts, screen items.
- Furniture Movers: Unload vehicles and deliver items to correct showroom location.
- Quality Control: “Triage” furniture and appliances for quality, cleanliness, working order and completeness.
Shifts: Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday 8:45 AM-Noon
WORK WITH DONATIONS DURING SORTING ROOM/WORKSHOP SHIFTS
- Sort Boxes: Dig through boxes of donations, assess condition of goods, categorize goods and dispatch to correct location for storage or display. Restock showroom as necessary.
- Sort Linens: Measure, label and assemble sets of bedding, curtains and towels.
- Workshop: Repair furniture, check lamps for safety. Must be 18 or older.
Shifts: Monday through Saturday 8:45 AM-Noon; Tuesday (workshop only) 12:45 -4 PM.
HELP CLIENTS DURING DISTRIBUTION SHIFTS
- Client Assistants: Assist clients while they “shop”. Help clients find household goods that fit their needs and style. Help clients solve space and logistical constraints.
- Furniture Movers: Work with clients and Client Assistants to load furniture into vehicles.
- Monday, Wednesday, Friday 8:45 AM-Noon
- Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday 12:45 PM-4:00 PM
- Organize a drive for towels, blankets or kitchen items
- Plan events and help fundraise
- Write stories and articles
- Assist with office work
- Schedule appointments via phone and email
- Bring a group for a special project